The Guidelines of the Act on Domestic Animal Infectious Diseases Control for Wet-Lab in "Lameness in Ruminants 2019" and Cattle Foot Trimming Demonstration hosted by Japan Farriery Association
Preventive Measures for the Practical Training of the 20th International Symposium and 12th International Conference on Lameness in Ruminants
1st June, 2018
Lameness in Ruminants 2019 Organizing Committee
Japan Farriery Association
Guidelines have been established for the conditions to participate to the practical workshop that will be held in the Azabu University on 14th March 2019. The Azabu University required preventive rules and systems against the infectious diseases for who returned to/entered Japan from overseas. In accordance with the official requirement, all persons concerning the training seminars have to comply the infectious disease- preventive measures and the downtime which is set forth here.
These guidelines establish infectious disease- preventive measures for conducting the practical workshop to be held at Azabu University (hereinafter referred to as "practical training").
2. Basic principle of infectious disease- preventive measures
The basic principle of the infectious disease- preventive measures is that participants must not bring in or take out any pathogenic microorganisms into/from the sanitation control area. Azabu University has many kinds of livestock, so practical training participants must not touch animals susceptible to any monitored infectious diseases other than ruminants from 7 days before the day of practical training. Moreover, visitors from countries in which there is an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease, contagious bovine pleuropneumonia, or peste-des-petits-ruminants (OIE certified) that ruminants are susceptible to and can be transmitted through people may not participate in the practical training.
Furthermore, at the time of entry to the venue, human body disinfection spray, shoe disinfection by stepping on a disinfection tank, and prevention of direct contact with susceptible animals by wearing protection clothing, shoe covers, and gloves are required, and further disinfection at the time of leaving, disposal of protection clothes, shoe covers, and gloves is essential.
With the exception of animals used in practical training, contact with any animal in the facility is prohibited.
3. Details of preventive measures
(1) Preventive measures at entry into Azabu University sanitation control area
- a) Those who come from countries that have an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease, CBPP, or peste-des-petits-ruminants (OIE certified) may not participate in the practical training.
- b) It would be preferable for practical training participants to not have touched ruminant beasts for 7 days before the day of practical training.
- c) Participants from a clean country (OIE certified), etc., may not participate in the practical training unless 3 days have passed between the date of arrival in Japan and the date of practical training, and said participant has not visited a production farm in Japan.
- d) Participants in Japan may not enter the sanitation control area of Azabu University if there is an outbreak or a suspected outbreak of an infectious disease on a production farm said participant has entered within the previous 3 days.
- e) Participants, etc. must have bathed and washed their hair at some point from the day before the practical training to the morning of practical training. Clean clothes must be worn on the day of practical training.
- f) Do not bring in clothing, slaughter materials, research materials, equipment, instruments, or livestock products (including souvenirs), etc. that may carry infectious microorganisms.
4. Compliance with anti-infectious disease measures
Persons who do not comply with the preventive measures will not be admitted into the practical training venue. Furthermore, after admission, persons who do not comply with preventive measures and do not respond to reminders will be asked to leave. In such cases, the participation fee, etc. will not be refunded.
5. Cooperation of Azabu University and cattle farriers
To the extent possible, the International Society of Lameness in Ruminants Committee and the Japan Farriery Association will obtain the cooperation of Azabu University and the cattle farriers in the use of disinfection equipment and power sprayers, etc. required for infectious disease- preventive measures in the practical training venue as well as in the incineration of waste.